Homecoming considered a success

Harvard Westlake Homecoming occurred Sat. Sept. 29. Members of the HW community gathered at the Upper School campus for the festivities. There were carnival attractions, a multitude of food stations including an In N Out truck, and a variety of sporting events.

Members of the Harvard Westlake community seemed to enjoy and appreciate Homecoming.

“Homecoming was an awesome way for members of our community to come together with their families and spend time with one another,” 7th and 8th grade science teacher Alex Ras said.

Students also recognize that Homecoming is of particular value to prospective students who are seeking to learn more about HW.

“Homecoming was a great experience for a lot of Harvard Westlake students and incoming students alike to create future bonds and get a feel for the Harvard Westlake community and the Harvard Westlake spirit,” Charlotte Massey ’22 said.

Admission counselor Julia Kraft agrees that Homecoming provides a unique opportunity for prospective students to get a feel for the school.

“Homecoming is an opportunity for prospective students and their parents to tour the Upper School, catch the HW spirit by cheering on a game, and glimpse what life as a member of our spirited community would be like. They also get to meet members of the Admission Office, student ambassadors, and parent ambassadors to get multiple perspectives on the lived experience at Harvard-Westlake,” Kraft said.

Wolverine sports teams experienced mixed results in their respective competitions. The varsity football team played in front of a massive crowd of viewers and won 28-21 against St. Anthony High School.

The girls field hockey teams competed earlier in the day on the Ted Slavin Field. Both teams faced Bonita High School, the varsity team winning 1-0 and the junior varsity team losing 0-1.

The varsity girls volleyball team lost 3-0 against Redondo Union High School, one of the most elite teams in their division, but the junior varsity girls volleyball team won 2-1 against Notre Dame Academy.

The varsity boys water polo team won 10-5 against Mater Dei School.

Homecoming offered an amazing opportunity for Harvard Westlake students, parents, faculty, and staff to come together as a community for a fun-filled event that did not disappoint.