Calderon begins as Middle School Athletic Trainer

By Jane Hamilton ’22

Calderon, Alexander A.
Calderon poses in the Marshall Center

Alex Calderon joined the school as the middle school athletic trainer. Calderon grew up in La Crescenta, California. He attended California Polytechnic State University as a computer engineer major but had a change of heart and transferred to Chapman University in Orange, California where he earned his degree as a trainer.
“I wanted [to do something with] more meaning,” Calderon said.
Prior to joining Harvard Westlake, he worked as an athletic trainer at the University of Florida and Curl and Jobe, an orthopedic clinic in Anaheim, California.
Calderon’s day usually consists of arriving on campus between 8 and 8:30 to work out before students arrive.
Working out allows me to get ready for all the students and athletes that come into my day,” says Calderon who usually stays down stairs in Marshal until sixth or seventh period.
About two to five athletes come in his office each period the heavy periods being third through seventh when students are in PE. “There isn’t period that I don’t like,” say Calderon although his favorite part of the day is lunch.
Outside of his job, Calderon enjoys the outdoors, hiking and trail running.
The students also seem to be really happy with Calderon.
“He is really nice and friendly, and I always feel welcomed when I come to his office,” Kate Hassett ‘22 said.