Teachers shadow students

By Sydney Hogan ’20

IMG_6158.JPG
Ninth grade dean Karen Fukushima shadows Keila McCabe ’20. Credit: Sydney Hogan ’20/SPECTRUM

Teachers have been visiting classes as part of the Teacher Shadow Day program.
Teacher Shadow Day allows for teachers to experience their students’ school lives. It was optional for students, and they signed up through a survey sent out by Head of Middle School Jon Wimbish, who created the program. About 60 students and 15 teachers signed up for the program, which will continue periodically through the middle of March.
Wimbish said that his inspiration to start the program came after he read about National Shadow Day, an event held last year where principals shadowed their students.
“I had read about it and seen it and thought, ‘Well, it’s not only good for administrators, it’s good for all teachers,’” Wimbish said.
Teachers can shadow students the whole day, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., or 5:30 p.m. if they have after-school activities. They also have the option of riding the bus together both in the morning and afternoon.
“[The program] will be varied enough that we will get lots of different experiences,” Wimbish said.
Other teachers volunteered to substitute classes of those participants.
Teachers have reacted very positively to these shadow days.
“My favorite part about Shadow Day was how much learning I got to experience,” ninth grade dean Karen Fukushima said.