Spirit Week excites students

Students decked out in spirit atti
By Casey Kim ’20 and Lauren Nehorai ’20

• Brase Dottin ’20 poses for the camera while dressed up in Harvard-Westlake football gear. Credit: Casey Kim ’20 / SPECTRUM

• Brase Dottin ’20 and Fedor Kirilenko ’20 stands by as Patrick Hyde ’20 goes in for a dab. Credit: Casey Kim ’20 / SPECTRUM

• A group of 9th graders sit together at the lunch tables high fiving each other. Credit: Casey Kim ’20 / SPECTRUM

• The 9th grade Senators get on the stage to start the annual Spirit Day pep rally. Credit: Casey Kim ’20 / SPECTRUM

• Footballs used for the Homecoming game sits on the field. Credit: Casey Kim ’20 / SPECTRUM

• A group of Middle School Football players decked out in the school football gear poses for the camera. Credit: Lauren Nehorai ’20 / SPECTRUM

The middle school campus held a week of festivities leading up to Spirit Day and Homecoming on Oct. 14 and 15.
To kick off the week, Student Council planned a series of dress up days, including East Coast Prep Day, Pajama Day, Twin Day and Fashion Disaster/Crazy Hair Day.
On Spirit Day, students and faculty dressed up in the school colors, and Student Council hosted a pep rally. For the first time, a water bottle flipping contest was held, in which each grade competed against each other to see who could flip a water bottle and have it land on its base the fastest. The ninth graders won and continued on to play against the faculty team, who beat the students 4-0.
“We wanted to add a fun event that the students would find entertaining, and I feel like we got a really positive response,” Student Council representative Grace Burton ‘20 said.
After the pep rally, students spent the rest of the day playing games on the field and eating Baskin Robbins ice cream.
The following day, the community gathered at the Upper School for the annual Homecoming event.
The varsity field hockey, volleyball and water polo teams competed throughout the day and each team won or tied their games. The main event was the varsity football game against St. Paul High School, which the team lost 41-21.
“Homecoming was a great experience playing in front of a lot of people. Although the outcome was a little different than I had hoped, it was cool to play in a loud atmosphere with a lot of supporters,” varsity quarterback Jameson Wang ‘20 said.
In addition to the many sports events, people participated in activities and were given a variety of food options, some of which included the booths set up by cultural clubs.
“I thought Homecoming was a really fun experience and it was nice to be with all of my friends and the whole Harvard-Westlake community to celebrate our school,” Kiley Azizadeh ‘21 said.