First Winter Week held

by Lindsay Wu ‘20
Student Council hosted the first ever Winter Week from Dec. 15-18.  Winter Week, similar to Spirit Week for Homecoming, was meant to excite the Middle School about the holidays and to get students and faculty into festive spirits.
“[Student Council] is really excited about this year’s Winter Week.  We wanted to be a little bit more active in celebrating the holidays on campus than we were in previous years, and we hope to make Winter Week an annual thing from now on.  Plus, it’s just really fun,” eighth grade senator Jaya Nayar ’20 said.
Winter Week started with members of Student Council decorating the Horn Commons on Monday morning, followed by sales of warm apple cider and hot chocolate with marshmallows at break on Tuesday and Thursday.  Wednesday, Ugly Sweater Day, provided the opportunity for students and faculty to dress up in holiday clothing.  On Friday, students were able to decorate holiday cookies at break for a small charge.  The Madrigal Choir also caroled outside the ninth grade lounge during break.
Profits from Winter Week will go toward other events run by Student Council.
“Winter Week also allowed Student Council to make a little extra money to benefit the students.  This way, we can bring more events, like Milk and Cookies days, to the Middle School and make the students happier,” Nayar said.
Students had similar opinions to Student Council members regarding Winter Week.
“I thought [Winter Week] was really fun.  I felt like it was a great way to get into a festive spirit for the upcoming holidays before winter break.  Winter Week also enhanced the experience at school, and it made me appreciate both school and the festivities,” Echo Seireeni ’20 said.