National Scholastic Art Award winners submitted

by Jonathan Chong ’19 and Clay Hollander ’19
Artwork from middle school visual arts students was submitted to the National Scholastic Art Award. According to the organization’s website, its mission is “to identify students with exceptional artistic and literary talent and present their remarkable work to the world.”
“There’s a regional competition where students compete around this area and then there’s nationals. If you place at nationals, then your work gets placed on a national tour where you work is shown at different cities around the country for a year,” Visual arts teacher Claire Cochran ’06 said.
The Art Awards are an annual multi-category art competition for students from grades seven to 12, with the categories ranging from drawing to mixed media to photography. This year, all of the visual arts teachers have submitted their students’ artwork to the competition.
“There are 12 different categories, and they look for all different type of things. They look for an elevated sense of expression of personality or concept or high technical skills or a sense of design,” Cochran said.
The visual arts department has participated in the competition for 15 years, with every art teacher submitting their students’ artwork every year. All of the teachers have also won awards in the past years.