New March testing calendar in effect

As the buzz and excitement surrounding Spring Break nears, so does a new addition, the March testing calendar. As students may recall, preceding the much-anticipated winter break was a time of testing and a unique calendar schedule. Similarly, a March testing calendar has been developed. With the same significance as the December Testing Calendar, the March Testing Calendar will work similarly.
The purpose of these testing calendars is to ensure that students are not overloaded with daily homework and assessments when approaching a school break, according to our deans. This schedule guides students through these busy couple of days before their time of rest.
The March testing calendar will begin on March 16 and end March 23, which is one full cycle. Although the calendar ends on Thursday, March 23, that Friday will be designated for makeup tests. According to an email from Head of Middle School Jon Wimbish, this means that teachers cannot plan to administer a test for any class on this day. The calendar assigns three days for each subject, within this six day cycle, to assess. However, teachers are permitted to move an X to accommodate the schedule.
Math and science departments may assess on March 16, 22 and 23. English, history and world language departments may assess on March 17, 20 and 21.
New policies always bring differing reactions.
“I don’t think it will have a big effect on my teaching or my assignments because of the way our units are structured around spring break,” English teacher Sydney Kohls said. ‘But, I think it will be mostly helpful for students to kind of spread out those tests and stuff that come all at the same time before spring break.”