Girls volleyball finishes season

By Camryn Williams ’22
The girls volleyball teams have had very successful seasons and, according to the team members, got closer as a squad. Both middle and high school teams improved individually as players while building team bonds in practices and traveling on bus rides to other schools.
The varsity squad had many accomplishments this season. The team consists of 16 girls in 10th through 12th grade. They started the season strong with four consecutive wins and continued the season with many great triumphs. They ended their season with an overall record of 20-10 and a league record of 5-3 but fell short of winning the State Championship in Division 1. Varsity coach Hayley Blanchard reflected on how they achieved their goals.
“We had a very successful season, and I am very proud of how the girls performed and worked together to achieve their goals!  We finished secondin the Mission League, taking the winner of the league to a close five-set match where our girls played great.  We also achieved our goal of making it to the state playoffs.  In CIF, we upset the number three (Temecula Valley) overall seed last Thursday, and while we lost on Saturday night (Nov. 4) to Corona Del Mar, we qualified for Division 1 State playoffs, but unfortunately, lost against Liberty High School,” Blanchard said.
According to the team, they bonded together very well and learned a lot throughout the season.
“We grew a lot as a team this year, performance and bonding wise, and we grew closer together which helped us play. This was one of our best seasons yet, so from that aspect we achieved many great goals! We had a lot of new members to the team, but we bonded really fast and became a family. Although we aren’t in the running for state, we all still look back at it as an amazing season.” middle blocker Lauren Juzang ‘20 said.
The JV squad says they grew a lot, improving their skills and squashing the competition throughout their season. They ended the season with an overall record of 11-3 and a league record of 5-3. They started the season strong with eight consecutive wins and say that they feel they performed well.
The freshman team had an overall record of 10-4 and a league record of 6-2. After losing their first match against Notre Dame High School, they came back and were able to win eight consecutive games.
Despite not making it to the championships, the middle school black team, which consisted of mostly eighth graders and two seventh graders, had an overall record of 2-3 with a league record of 2-2.
“I think that we played well because we hadn’t played together as a whole before. I think we could have improved on our talking and effort in the games and being more aggressive. We lost a lot of points because our energy was down/miscommunication, we made silly mistakes, or we wouldn’t go for the ball,” outside hitter Sophia Lindus ‘22 said.
The middle school white team had nine players and ended the season with a record of 0-3. Although they did not win all of their games, they said that having a small team helped them become closer and bond resulting in friendships outside of the gym.
The red team consisted of seventh graders and finished with an overall record of 1-4. Most of the girls had never played before and they enjoyed learning the sport.
Overall, all five teams have shown skill and determination and their results definitely show.
“I believe this was a successful season for all of the teams and each girl improved in some way,” Blanchard said.