Tooke steps in for Ulmer

By Tanisha Gunby ’21

History teacher Sarah Tooke ’04 is teaching Ian Ulmer’s seventh and ninth grade history and Library and Technology 7 classes during his paternity leave.
After graduating from the school in 2004, Tooke studied history at Oxford University and graduated in 2007. She then went to the University of Southern California in 2014 and got an MBA. Afterwards, Tooke was a substitute in LAUSD for a year. She is currently in a program at California State University, Northridge to get credentials in math and history. She said all of history interests her, but especially the period after WWI leading up to WWII.
Tooke said she enjoys teaching at the school so far.
“I like getting to be with students and getting to talk…and discuss about the things that I think are important,” Tooke said.
She said that she likes history because of the discussions in class.
“I think that history is really important because it is all about ideas…It is a great class because you get to have really fun discussions in history. You can have fun discussions in a lot of different classes. I, as a student, always enjoyed the discussions in history class a lot. And so far I am enjoying them as a teacher as well,” Tooke said.
Outside of school, Tooke enjoys the outdoors and activities such as rock climbing, hiking, swimming and reading.
Tooke’s students said they are enjoying having her as their history teacher.
“She is a really nice teacher. I like that she is super positive and I like her teaching style because she really explains things,” Giulia Germano ’21 said.