Winter week takes place

9th grade Senator Michael Lehrhoff ’20 serves hot chocolate to students during Winter Week. Credit: Zoe Redlich ’20 / SPECTRUM
By Zoe Redlich ’20

• 9th grade Senator Michael Lehrhoff ’20 serves hot chocolate to students during Winter Week. Credit: Zoe Redlich ’20 / SPECTRUM

• The hot chocolate stand was one of the events that took place during Winter Week along with many others such as Ugly Sweater Day and a movie day on that Friday. Credit: Zoe Redlich ’20 / SPECTRUM

Members of the middle school community celebrated the holidays by holding Winter Week from Dec. 12 through Dec. 16.  Student Council sold hot chocolate and fuzzy socks all week during break except for Wednesday, which was Ugly Sweater Day and had no break due to the Winter Choral Concert teaser. On that Monday, Student Council decorated the campus with wreaths and pictures of menorahs. To finish off the week, holiday movies were played all day in the Saperstein Theatre.
“My favorite day of Winter Week was Ugly Sweater Day because it was nice to see everyone in the Christmas spirit,” Namlhun Jachung ’20 said.
Along with leading into Winter Break, money from Winter Week will fund the Student Council and their free future events such as Pi Day.
“It’s just a tradition for the Student Council to do [Winter Week] every year,” Student Council member Landon Lewis ’22 said.
Although a lot happens during Winter Week, it mainly serves as a way to lighten the last week of school before break, when teachers often give tests, and helps the students get into holiday spirit.
“I thought it was really fun and a good way to get into the holiday spirit before Winter Break,” Remi Patton ’20 said.