Community celebrates Lunar New Year at luncheon

All ages, cultures gather at Skirball Center to welcome Year of the Dragon

On Sunday, Feb. 4, Harvard-Westlake students, parents, and faculty came together to celebrate the Lunar New Year. People of all ages and cultures joined in the festivities at the Skirball Center to welcome the Year of the Dragon and appreciate Asian culture.
Harvard Westlake students studying Chinese at different levels performed songs, skits, game shows, and even an audience interactive trivia game. This celebratory event showcased the different Chinese classes’ accomplishments so far this year, and it was a time for everyone to have fun together. After the performances, there was a delicious Chinese buffet and games with potential prizes. The buffet consisted of noodles to represent long life, fish as a sign of prosperity, spring rolls symbolizing bars of gold and wealth, and much more. Students were also given red envelopes, which brings good luck and fortune in the new year.
“This event was meaningful because it was a time to celebrate the start of the Lunar New Year with classmates,” Sophie Lee ’27 said. “It was a bonding experience and a great way to get to practice Chinese.”
“This was a fun gathering where I could hang out with my friends while eating some good food,” Sarah Huang ’27 said. “I would definitely go again.”