HW Media reorganizes

New Intro class replaces yearbook, Spectrum, broadcast classes
Holden Kim ’27
Per 3 HW Media journalists work on stories before they leave for retreat.

HW Media has reorganized their classes compared to last year in an experiment to determine whether the new system will result in improved organization.
Director of HW Media Jen Bladen said there were a handful of reasons to make the change.
“The first one that I think is the most important and impactful on you is that we want what you learn at Harvard-Westlake to reflect the real world as much as possible,” she said.
Specifically, at the middle school, Bladen teaches a new class Introduction to HW Media. The class teaches all media-related topics to ensure that students are making informed decisions. Intro to HW Media is the first in a series of four courses that make up the entire journalism program.
In just the first month of school, the majority of students in Intro to HW Media have already made decisions on what media-related topics they would like to pursue in their future journalism careers. However, it is unclear at the moment whether their participation in this class will change their decision or not.
“I love the ability to write about anything that is important to our community,” reporter and photographer ’27 said. “I enjoy seeing new perspectives of our school through the interviews I’m doing for class.”