Updates throughout campus open in time for classes

Facilities department spends all summer constructing, cleaning N. Faring spaces
Afredo Contreras
Construction of the new deans’ offices located on the second floor of Wang Hall this summer. The new spaces were open before school started on Aug. 23.

Coming back to the middle school, students noticed many changes and upgrades throughout campus. Alfredo Contreras, Middle School Plant Manager, and his crew were hard at work, making sure campus would be ready for the year to come.
One of the most noticeable changes was in Wang Hall, including the arrangement of the 8th grade lounge. By splitting an unused flex space nearby, Contreras’ team was able to configure the space into two separate offices. As a result, the offices are four times larger, making room for more seating and large windows that help the space to feel more open.
“The spacious new eighth-grade lounge has more room for me to study and work with friends,” Niya Maria ’28 said.
The wall splitting the old offices has been removed and has been converted into a flex space for students to silently study, and smaller classes to meet.
Across the way, in the Marshall Athletics Facility, the maintenance crew helped to bring a plethora of smaller renovations. Such changes include the repainting of the hallways, locker rooms, and shower stalls. In addition, the gym floor was refinished and painted, a process which can take several days.
Both the crest seen upon entering the campus, and the crest mosaic seen on the floor of the middle school plaza were refinished, and now have a fresh look. Within the Bing Performing Arts Center, an office space was built in Bing 126. This new office, replacing an old storage space, is now home to our Director of Instructional Technology, and Director of teaching and learning.
“Something most people don’t realize is that every year we do a routine repaint of campus and lots of landscaping work,” Contreras said.