Gene Luen Yang to visit Middle School

by Jessa Glassman ’20
    Gene Luen Yang, graphic novel and comic book author, will be speaking to the middle school community during a special assembly on Jan. 25. Yang was recently named Ambassador for Young People’s Literature by the Library of Congress, and he will be talking about his career when he comes to campus. Yang has received many nominations for different awards and has won the Michael L. Printz award in 2007 for his novel, “American Born Chinese,” During the assembly, Yang will speak about his different pieces including comic books such as “Superman” and “Avatar: The Last Airbender.” He also plans to discuss how his culture influences his writing.
    After his talk, Yang will be answering students’ questions and teaching workshops on comic strip writing and illustration techniques for those in specific writing or illustration classes. He will also be signing copies of his most famous book, “American Born Chinese” and copies of his most recent “Superman” comic in the library. Students can purchase these works in the bookstore.
    “I am very excited. I think the kids are going to be thrilled because they are going to recognize some of things he has written for like ‘Superman’ and ‘The Last Airbender,’ English teacher Adam Rose, who organized Yang’s visit, said.