Takeover of Technology

Post-COVID, we have become more dependent on the resources technology provides
Iris Chung

Opinion by Camryn Banafsheha ’27

Sitting in a restaurant, I began to look around – a room full of people, full of stories to share and conversations to be had – yet every single person’s head was facing downwards, the glare of their cell phone reflecting back up.
While technology rapidly advances and takes over the world, quality time is diminishing. It is more often one finds people interacting with phones rather than with each other.
After two consecutive years of virtual life in lockdown, we have become more dependent on the resources and entertainment that technology provides. During the years of quarantine, we turned to our phones and computers to connect us because at the time, that was the only option available. However, as we returned to normal, many people carried on with an attachment to devices rather than readjusting to traditional human interactions.
Learning resource specialist Jenn Gabrail said that dependence on technology can be difficult to prevent after the pandemic, especially among students.
“I think that during COVID, we really had to rely on technology for the human connection aspect and I think for students, when you do that for a year, it’s really hard to come out of that habit of relying on technology,” Gabrail said.
This generation is one of the first to witness such a drastic wave of technological innovation by living alongside the internet and social media. The positive resources that technology provides – easy communication, high efficiency levels, and connection despite distance – have greatly benefited society. However, when technology is misused and priceless real life connections are replaced, a large sense of humanity is lost.
As technology continues to grow, it becomes increasingly important to educate this generation about its impacts. Although there are many unknown factors due to the newness of technology, it is crucial to research and discuss beyond the surface level. The immediate joy that comes from scrolling through social media will not last, but the long term physical and mental effects will.
“That’s the reason why those apps are made – to give you that instant gratification, that serotonin surge – because it makes you feel good and happy,” Gabrail said. “It’s an easy way to interact, so the more students understand that, the better.”
Technology is here to stay, therefore it is important to acknowledge the valuable benefits that it offers. However, I believe that it is important to find a balance, for it is when technology takes over our lives that negative effects appear.