Opinion: A Story Not Told On Paper

I believe art allows students to swim through emotions, encapsulate sadness, showcase the beauty of Mother Nature and so much more.
Simren Bindra ’27
Flavia Zuñiga-West ’02 demonstrates how to use an artistic spatula to her students.

Visual Arts is a prime source of experimentation at HW.
I believe it allows students to swim through emotions, encapsulate sadness, showcase the beauty of Mother Nature and so much more.
My beat assignment is to cover Drawing and Painting. I have seen that the lessons in the classes under this genre of art have captivated and nourished the minds of many in grades 8 and 9 to excel and allowed artistic abilities to thrive and personal outlets of peace to be filled.
This class is taught by Flavia Zuñiga-West ’02.
This genre of art involves two variations of classes which will help to expand your ability. Drawing and Painting: Technique is one option and the other is Drawing and Painting: Expression.
Technique involves expanding students’ drawing and painting skills and developing their realistic two-dimensional rendering prowess while Expression involves drawing and painting from one’s inner world where one can let loose.
Students who take this class say being in an art classroom is their expressive and non-judgmental space.
“What I am focused on is helping students develop their ideas and concepts to hone in on their artistic voice,” Zuñiga-West said.
There are many forms of art that students have access to, including photography, painting, drawing and sculpting.
“All artists can express themselves freely, there is no stylistic expectation,” she said. “I teach for artistic behaviors, meaning the student is the artist, and the artistic process is the most important evidence in student learning.”