Photojournalist teaches workshop

By Tessa Augsberger ’22
Photojournalist Alice Proujansky visited the middle and upper school campuses on Oct. 25 and 26 to speak to Introduction to Digital Photography and News Magazine Journalism students about her work.
Photography teacher Joe Medina, who organized Proujansky’s visit, said that he had the opportunity to meet Proujansky in New York through a professional grant.
“I met Ms. Proujansky in New York last spring through Aperture Foundation Education Partnerships. She was presenting the On-Sight photo curricula which she had helped develop in addition to the projects she was doing about Young Midwives and Migrant Families,” Medina said.
A self-described “documentary photographer,” Proujansky lives in New York and has been studying photography since college. She creates photo essays and sometimes works alongside other journalists to create feature articles. According to Proujansky, photo essays are “a series of photos that together tell a story” –  usually a story about topics that are currently taking place around the world. When teaching News Magazine Journalism students on Oct. 26, Proujansky explained the difference between a photo’s and a written piece’s ability to tell stories, and how these two forms of journalism can work together.
Introduction to Digital Photography students spoke about the experience of Proujansky’s visit.
“It was a fun experience, and it changed how my whole entire class saw photography,” Iris Huang ’22 said.