ARTIST SPOTLIGHT: Halyn Kim ’28

Halyn Kim ’28 is a violinist.
Any type of passion that an individual is devoted to requires sacrifice. The roots of Kim’s passion for violin began ten years ago, when she was just three years old. With the support from her friends and family, Kim is driven to play her violin daily. Along with the long hours of standing and constantly practicing, the end result of mastering a piece is an extremely rewarding feeling that Kim gets, a sense of accomplishment which no one can take away. Hence, driving her to become a better player. In addition, Kim is fascinated by the wide range of expressiveness that the instrument itself holds. She believes the violin is capable of bringing out a variety of emotions.
“I’m able to freely express my creativity through [playing the violin],” Kim said. “The violin is an instrument like no other and its uniqueness makes me proud that I am a violinist.”
Additionally, she has contributed to the HW musical community, as she has been in the symphony for two years, playing as a section leader. Along her journey playing in ensembles, Kim was able to make many new friends and form genuine connections with them.
“This connection is extremely valuable to me as I am able to share my love of music with others who also love music,” Kim said.