Physical assessments added to P.E. curriculum

By Sophie Musante ’22
Students began taking physical assessments as a part of the Physical Education curriculum. The assessments take place twice a year, once during the week before retreat and once during the week of final assessments. The assessments consist of five tests that take three days to complete. The tests are a 600-yard run, a 20-yard sprint, a 20-yard shuttle, a standing long jump and a softball throw.
According to Physical Education Department Head Robert Ruiz, the assessments are purely progress reports that only affect the students’ effort grades. The purpose of these tests is to increase student self esteem by showing their progress throughout the year.
Assessments similar to this have existed in the past but were taken away due to several different factors. Ruiz said that he liked the increase in self confidence that these assessments brought, so he added them back into the curriculum with some modifications.
“This isn’t for [a student’s] grade. This is for each individual kid to feel good about seeing progress from the beginning of the year to the end,” Ruiz said.
Students had conflicting feelings about these assessments. Some students said that they do not believe the assessments will improve their self confidence.
“In a way it’s unfair that they evaluate us on our physical ability,” a student who wishes to remain anonymous said.
Other students said they like the assessments and are glad the school chose to add them to the curriculum.
“I think the assessments are beneficial and they should keep them,” Andrew Eitner ‘23 said.

Photo captions: Students run on the field during a P.E. class.