Wang steps in as new science teacher

By Khyra Stiner ’21
Biology teacher Leslie Wang joined the Middle School faculty after being a substitute science teacher for Alex Ras while she was on maternity leave last year.
Wang returned to work part-time, teaching two classes instead of the average five. This allows Wang to be able to take care of her two young children.
“I can’t afford to be here more than part-time because I have two young kids to care for. As it is, I feel like I’m working much more than full-time. I was giving 100 percent of myself as a full-time teacher, and now I feel like I’m giving 60 percent here, 60 percent there and rapidly overshooting 100 percent. With that said, it’s just so enjoyable. It’s hard for me to leave each day to go pick up my kids,” Wang said.
Wang has been teaching and working in the science field for most of her career. After researching in Marine Biology, she came to work at the Middle School from 2006 to 2009. Wang said that she enjoys teaching because she gets to know her students. However, Wang said that she wishes that even working part-time, she had more opportunities to do so and to be a more available resource for her students. Students said that the amount of time Wang spends on campus does not make a difference in their learning.
“I don’t think it makes a difference because she is still a great teacher, and I am learning a lot,” Christian Becerra ’21 said.