Singers ‘Rejoice’ in choral concert

By Casey Kim’20

photo.png
The Madrigal choir performs. Credit: Lauren Nehorai’20/SPECTRUM

Middle school singers performed in “Rejoice,” this year’s Winter Choral Concert on Dec.15 in the Saperstein Theatre. Vocal Ensemble, Wolverine Singers, Madrigals and the seventh grade boys’ and girls’ chorus performed the songs they have practiced during the first semester.
The students sang a range of music for the holidays in front of other students, parents and teachers.
“The Choral Concert is fun because it’s nice to put all the things you worked on this year together and perform it for your family and friends,” Wolverine Singer Jaesan Emeret ’21 said.
Many students said that the Choral Concert was a memorable experience.
“I feel as if I could show my true self. I innovated as a person. Madrigals is very inclusive because we always work together in group projects, and I feel like we are one big community. I’m grateful for that,” Madrigals singer Celine Park’ 21 said.
The Choral Concert ended as many of the groups joined together for one piece with faculty and staff. Choral Director Nina Burtchaell concluded her last Winter Choral Concert, as she will be retiring at the end of this school year.
“It was so special. I want to say it was my favorite ever. It was also sad at the same time, but I kept myself in the joy of experiencing something completely and fully. It reminded me that if people approached their days as if it was the last time they were able to do what they love, what an amazing world it would be,” Burtchaell said.