Contemporary Dance Workshop showcases more than 50 performers

Joe Schenck
Dancers rehearse in their final dress rehearsal before the show. Pictured from left to right: Amery Bell ’27, Brianna Ebrahemi ’27, Donna Enayati ’27, Malena Atluri ’27, Marlow Kohn.

Contemporary Dance Workshop classes hosted a dance showcase on Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2024 as the first semester ended. It featured all styles of dance such as salsa, hip- hop, ballet and more performed by over fifty performers.

The show began with “1, 2, Step” an upbeat, hip-hop dance that included all Contemporary Dance Workshop 1 (CDW1) students.

“It was very lively and exciting,” Brianna Ebrahemi ’27, a CDW1 dancer, said. “I felt nervous at first, but once I got into the flow of it, it was such a great experience.”

This was followed by student choreographed dances with two to five people each. Students had been working together throughout the semester to choreograph their dances, choose their music, and help design their costumes.

“It was interesting to be able to see all the different styles combined in one show,” said Sophia Cotter ’27, an audience member. “The music was super exciting and I love being able to see my friends express themselves. ”

The dance was a combination of all the semester’s work and several after school rehearsals leading up to the performance.

Furthermore, beyond the energy of the dances, the dancer’s hard-work and dedication was recognized.

“I don’t think audience members recognize the huge process that goes into the show,” said Evalina Gerencher ’27, a Dance Production dancer.

These remarks were echoed by other Dance Production dancers.

“It was amazing to see all the dancers hard-work go into one show,” said Maddie Saada ’27 “It was such a great experience.”