Tuhtan Teaches Full Time

Tuhtan lays out the lesson plan for the day. Tanisha Gunby ’21/Spectrum

By: Tanisha Gunby and Khyra Stiner
English teacher Lela Tuhtan taught English part-time to seventh graders last year, but, she is now teaching both seventh and eighth graders full time.
Although Tuhtan’s workload is a lot more now, she said that she enjoys the experience.
“It feels very exciting and busier, but I’m grateful for the opportunity,” Tuhtan said.
Tuhtan said that changing from working part-time to full-time has not been too much of a struggle, since she worked full-time before beginning to teach at the Middle School campus.
“I’m just back, back to what I am used to,” Tuhtan said.
Tuhtan said that she has had a wonderful time and has been challenged in a very positive way at the Middle School. She said that one difference she noticed between her seventh and eighth grade students is that the older students seem to know more about the culture of the school and the expectations, as they have had more experience.
However, no matter how much knowledge her students have of the school’s expectations, students said that they enjoy her class.
“I think she is really enthusiastic and passionate about the subject and teaches the material really well through her activities,” Chloe Schaeffer ’21 said.