Bookworms squirm through running a book club

Riley Romans ’27
A common book club meeting set-up for Bookworms

Riley Romans ’27, is an enthusiastic reader who decided to create an out-of-school club solely dedicated to the passion for reading among her peers. Lucie Benoit ’27 loves reading and escaping into new worlds just like Romans.

After hearing about the Book Club and becoming closer with Romans, Benoit joined the book club and has been enjoying the shared interest in the world of literature with the other members. Romans and Benoit bond over books frequently and, “All of our friends in the book club enjoy reading, and being able to talk freely and express your opinions about a book is so enlightening,” Benoit said.

The book club, called Bookworms, meets monthly and lots of members come to Romans’ house to discuss the book. The club has lots of members, and close friends in 9th grade.

“It [the club] started around a year and a half ago…I’ve been running it ever since,” Romans said.

As a soccer player and one with extracurriculars, Romans says that there are some conflicts she faces while running this club during the year and out by herself. She says scheduling isn’t always easy but she believes Flex Days and days off is when the group can congregate.

As a swimmer and volleyball player with extracurriculars, Benoit also finds it difficult to stay fully on top of all the readings and be able to meet on the respective dates.

Nevertheless, Romans’ love for reading can’t stop her from continuing the club strong.

“I love how we have a plethora of genres to please every reader. We’ve read horror, fantasy, romance, and mystery and those are genres we all love,” Benoit said.

Some books the group has read include “The Cheat Sheet” by Sarah Adams, “Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury, “The Last Flight” by Julie Clark, and so much more. The group is currently reading “Gone” by Micahel Grant.

“It’s more fun to talk about the same book together,” Romans said.