Middle school hosts annual Grandparent’s Day

Camryn Banafsheha ’27
Students in Madrigals and Symphony perform for special guests.

The annual Grandparents and Special Friends Day is a longstanding tradition that allows students to experience a portion of the school day with their loved ones. This year, a record breaking 500 guests arrived on campus on the morning of May 5 to celebrate this occasion.

The shifted daily schedule allowed students to greet their loved ones after first period, before gathering in Saperstein theater for a welcoming assembly. Head of middle school Jon Wimbish and president Rick Commons addressed the audience, acknowledging the many people who traveled from afar to attend this meaningful event.

After a performance by the middle school symphony in collaboration with the madrigals, the halls were filled with excitement as students took their guests to second and third period classes. Many teachers prepared a special activity to provide the visitors with a true school experience.

Amery Bell ’27 said she enjoyed spending time with her grandparents in a different environment than usual.

“I think my favorite part was just my grandparents seeing how I am in the classroom,” Bell said. “They know how I am at home, but when I’m at school, they don’t know what I’m like and they got to get a glimpse of that.”

After 80 minutes of classes, food and drinks waited in the Commons for guests to enjoy lunch with their students. The community members were able to spend additional time talking and enjoying each other’s company before saying goodbye and returning to daily classes.

Bell shared that this tradition is very special to her, as it provides an opportunity to de-stress before the end of the school year.

“I really like [this tradition] because I don’t get to see my grandparents that often, so the fact that they were able to come to school where I am the majority of my time was really nice,” Bell said. “It’s nice that it’s towards the end [of the school year] because the end is when it’s stressful, so just to have a day with people that you love is really nice.”