CPR training at the middle school?

As the upper school adds new CPR/AED requirement, middle school contemplates training here
Natalie Ro ’25
In the middle school trainer’s office in the Marshall Center, Sophia Levin ’25 holds an AED kit and supplies from a first aid kit.

The school sent an email to students and parents releasing a new requirement for all upper school students, starting with the Class of 2024 on Sept. 14. In order to graduate all upper school students must do 10 hours of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Automated External Defibrillator (CPR/AED) and first aid training. According to counselor Michelle Bracken in a quote featured in the Chronicle, the reasoning behind this requirement is that if something were to arise on campus, then it’s highly possible for a student to be the closest person, so it’s good to be trained in case an emergency arises.
Middle School Director of Student Affairs, Keith Jordan, clarified how the policy would carry over the hill to the middle school.
“There is not the same mandate at the middle school, but if there are enough students interested we can arrange something, but it is not mandatory,” Jordan said. “The school is willing to do it, if enough people are interested, like after school or on a weekend. Possibly through the Harvard-Westlake Red Cross Club.”
In a poll done by Spectrum, 62% of students said they would feel comfortable participating in CPR, AED and first aid training. 19.5% of people do not feel comfortable participating in training and 18.4% of people didn’t feel strongly either way. Also, the majority of the students said that ages 11 through 15 are the right age to be taught CPR/AED and first aid training.
Gideon Evans ’25 thinks it should not be mandatory.
“No, I don’t think so but I think it should be encouraged as lessons to teach our children [about safety],” Evans said.
Rebecca Lee ’24 agreed.
“I think CPR/AED and first aid could be taught to high schoolers and olders,” Lee said. “The school could make it not mandatory if you feel uncomfortable but still suggest it for students who do feel comfortable [learning it].”
Elise Kennedy ’23 thinks it is something good to know.
“Yeah [I feel comfortable learning CPR/AED and first aid],” Kennedy said. “I think it could be helpful and I don’t see the downside.”