Player Spotlight: Jake Effress ’27

Ethan Bai ’27
Jake Effress ’27 works on a robot.

The school’s robotics team, designated as Team 62X, has been making waves in the competitive circuit, excelling in creativity and engineering acumen. In a recent interview, freshman Jake Effress ’27, who has been with the team since his seventh-grade year, refuted the stereotypical notion that the field of robotics is an exclusive domain for those with an extensive background in science and math. “Robotics is geared more towards creativity,” Effress emphasized. He added that while a basic understanding of math and science is essential, it’s not the sole criterion for participation.
The young roboticist also shed light on the deep camaraderie within Team 62X.
“We’ve gone from mere team members to close friends,” Effress said.
This sense of unity was prominently displayed during their world championship run in seventh grade. The team managed to turn a potentially disastrous situation—a missed match—into a bonding moment.
“That experience taught us never to let the stress of failure get to us,” Effress said,
Effress credited their coach, science teacher Tripp Reed, for fostering a supportive environment. He also expressed enthusiasm for recent changes implemented by Reed.
“All the changes were for the better,” he said.
For Effress, the allure of robotics lies in its complexity and the continuous learning it offers.
“The challenge keeps it from getting repetitive,” he said.