Community Gathers for Convocation at Upper School

Ed Hu
Head Prefect Bari LeBari’ 24 waves to the crowd as he walks toward the stage.

The new school year began as students and faculty from both campuses congregated at the upper school for the annual convocation on Aug. 23.

Head of School Laura Ross opened the event by sharing the importance of living in the moment and savoring all experiences.

“We need to try to be present and recognize that each moment is precious,” Ross said. “We have to be there to greet each experience and appreciate what it can bring instead of always being focused on the future.”

Following Ross’ speech, President Rick Commons swore in the upper school prefects. Head Prefects Bari LeBari ’24 and Davis Marks ’24 read the honor code to the audience, and Commons introduced them as the keynote speakers.

President Rick Commons speaks after swearing in the Head and Senior Prefects for the new school year. (Ed Hu)

LeBari referenced a saying in his speech, “two L’s make a W,” and advised the crowd to find the highlights of any negative experience.

“The saying two L’s make a W essentially means that the losses and mistakes in life can be seen as successes when spun into a positive light,” LeBari said. “The Ws may not be obvious, but there is always something you can take away from any negative experience.”

Marks spoke about the small delights of the school experience and their role in students’ memories of high school.

“By dropping preconceived notions, we’re able to live in the moment and appreciate the simple joys that often go unnoticed, whether it’s conversations with friends during lunch or walks to Starbucks and Sportsmen’s Lodge,” Marks said. “While these may seem insignificant, one day you’ll look back and realize they’re the things that defined your time here.”

In his closing remarks, Commons emphasized the school’s goal of connection within the community.

“We are here to learn much more than history or math or science or languages or art,” Commons said. “More important than all the content… are the connections you will make this year with your teachers and your classmates.”