Camryn Banafsheha

Monday: Math Club

Math Club encourages middle school students to come together to solve a variety of challenging math problems. Math teachers Yu-Loung Chang and Gregg Ross are the faculty advisers. Ross meets with the seventh and eighth graders while Chang leads the ninth grade students.

Ross said that each member enters with a different level of knowledge, which is one of the many aspects of the club that is embraced.

“The thing I love most about the club is that the kids are coming in with completely different levels of math experience but they all love working together and helping each other learn,” Ross said.

Within the meetings, the mathletes prepare for high school level competitions like ASMA, SIGMA, Math Madness and AMC 10. According to Ross, the club takes part in an average of 25 contests per year.

Mathlete Felicia Duan ’27 has been a part of the club for two consecutive years. Duan said Math Club is an exciting group to be a part of, as it is filled with enjoyable activities and interesting skill-building exercises.

“Ross is really funny, and he’s a good teacher,” Duan said. “As a competitive person, I really liked the competitions last year.”

Chang said he is proud of the students who take part in the club. He appreciates their positive attitude and dedication to growth.

“By the end of each year, I notice that the students have all improved their skills and learned a lot,” Chang said. “On top of that, we have a lot of fun together.”

The SPECTRUM • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$0
$500