An affinity for BLACC

BLACC, Black Leadership and Culture Club, dates back to the origins of Harvard-Westlake School. Since before the merger of Harvard and Westlake, students have gathered in celebration of Black identity. Although the purpose of the club has remained intact, it has progressed through the years, growing to a current middle school membership of 88 members.

Students from all backgrounds are encouraged to participate and contribute to the group at their Wednesday meetings. The group provides a pathway of connection into the school community.

“I think it makes a change because there’s an awareness of what African American contributions have been to history and current times. And then, just the way that we celebrate those things are things that everybody can be a part of and connect to,” faculty adviser Jonathan Carroll said.

To its members, this affinity group creates a space to foster relationships and celebrate culture. Students develop leadership skills through events, field trips, and open discussions.

“The club is almost like a second home for me because I’ve grown so close with the faculty and the students there that it feels like we’re one big family,” BLACC member Amery Bell ’27 said.

The SPECTRUM • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$0
$500