An affinity for GSA

GSA meets every Tuesday in Hazy 300

Gender and Sexuality Awareness (GSA) is a safe space that allows students and faculty to learn more about themselves and the LGBTQ community. GSA meets every Tuesday in Hazy 300, led by Human Development teacher Tim Smith. The group works to educate and spread awareness of LGBTQ issues. GSA is an environment where people can safely express their thoughts, feelings and concerns both in and out of school.

GSA strives to make a difference, spreading awareness about issues and events such as the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia (IDAHOT) on May 17. Currently, they are working to sponsor a group to go to AIDS Walk Los Angeles.

Student leader Finn Slootweg ’26 said he enjoys bringing people together in the community and being able to see friendly faces around campus.

“My favorite part about being a leader at GSA is being able to create a sense of community and bring people together in a way they can’t be otherwise,” Slootweg said.

Smith said the group’s goal is to make sure students feel seen and heard, and to empower them to find their voices.

“GSA is a safe space to come and learn, to maybe support their friends or even themselves,” Smith said.

The SPECTRUM • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$0
$500