Harvard-Westlake boys’ Freshman basketball team wins game against Loyola

Harvard Westlake (HW) freshman boys’ basketball team competed against Loyola on Friday the 11th. HW won with a score of 64-57. This makes their season win-loss record 14-5. The game was packed with fans on both ends of both teams, and the HW JV and varsity teams watched and cheered on the HW boys freshman team. The tension between HW and Loyola has been an ongoing subject, and this rivalry put the freshman team in a competitive mindset.

During the first half the HW freshman squad were far behind the Loyola team. The game almost felt like it was over at the end of the second quarter with a score of 7-18. The freshman squad rose to the occasion and did not give up during the first half, even though they were far behind and had a lot to make up in the second half.

As the boys came out for the second half, they began to score constantly. Catching up in score with 43-41 at the end of the third quarter.

HW’s coach, Lawrence White, commented on his team’s triumph.

“We started off really slow, and then when the second half came on, I don’t know what came amongst them. It was a big game, big turnout and they just started getting energy: energy from the crowd, energy from themselves; they created their own energy and played off of it. It was amazing to watch,” White said.

Center Bill Baker ’22 attempted to explain this sudden improvement.

“The coach does a good job motivating us, players do a good job encouraging each other and just playing hard,” Baker said.