Boy’s Soccer kicks off season

A+player+runs+to+steal+the+ball+from+the+opposing+team.+Credit%3A+Casey+Kim+20%2FSPECTRUM+
A player runs to steal the ball from the opposing team. Credit: Casey Kim ’20/SPECTRUM
By Eugean Choi ’21 and Emma Limor ’21

• A player on the Varsity team prepares to head the ball. Credit: Casey Kim ’20/SPECTRUM

• Varsity player Henry Sanderson ’20 prepares for a match with a passing drill. Credit: Casey Kim ’20/SPECTRUM

• A player runs to steal the ball from the opposing team. Credit: Casey Kim ’20/SPECTRUM

• The Middle School team currently holds a record of 1-1. Credit: Emma Limor ’21/SPECTRUM

• The Middle School team consists of 18 boys this year. Credit: Casey Kim ’20/SPECTRUM

The boys’ soccer program is made up of the varsity, JV, eighth grade, and seventh grade teams. The season for the varsity soccer team began in September. They practice five to six times a week, with weight training for two of the practices. The team has an overall score of 6-5-3 as of press time.
“I joined the team because I have been playing soccer my whole life, and it is my favorite [activity] to do. I decided to play school soccer because I have pride in our school and want to fight for our school and my teammates on the field,” defender Pablo Greenlee ’20 said.
The JV team practices four to five times a week, with weight training during the week. The overall record is 2-3-1. Players from the JV squad said that their goal is to improve on skill. They have also decided to seek guidance from the experiences of the varsity players.
Program Head Kris Ward said he believes both the varsity and JV teams will have strong seasons. Ward said he is proud to be a part of the boys’ soccer program and wants to help them grow into better players and teammates. According to Ward, the seasons for all of the soccer teams have been going well.
“[This] season will be extremely positive for a number of reasons. Our group has already shown great enthusiasm and [a] willingness to fulfill their potential. They are committed to pushing this program to new heights. Accomplishing those [goals] would be tremendous,” Ward said.
The eighth grade team started season with hard work. They started their season with a 2-2 tie against Brentwood on Dec. 1, and have an overall record of 0-2-1.
Even though they are only weeks into the season, the players on the eighth grade team have already bonded. During their games, players have the opportunity to meet and create friendships with other players on their team.
“I feel that the team’s social bond is strong and participating on the team is welcoming,”
striker Isaiah Jeter ’21 said.
Players feel that they have also learned life skills while participating in the soccer program.  Athletes believe that the program has influenced their character as well.
“I have become a better person because of the soccer team and have learned many values including teamwork and respect,” center defender Liam Weetman ’21 said.
The 18 seventh grade players said that they have had a fierce start this season. Their current record is 1-1.  In order for the season to be successful, the coaches have worked every day of the week to help train the student athletes.
“I know that we are going to do great this season. We have an awesome team. I have faith in my team members to do well.  Faith is the key to having an amazing team. Our teamwork is what makes us into better players,” center Henry Mallory ’22 said.
Along with teamwork, coaches have stated that the combination of the players have made it better in games. Many students believe that because of their good combination of players, has made it easier to get things done faster.
“Being the Program Head is a great honor. The combination of amazing student-athletes and the resources we possess gives me a starting point that surpasses most other programs,” Ward said.