Boys water polo fight until end

Printed with permission of Spencer Mendelsohn
By Viswa Douglass ’21

• Printed with permission of Spencer Mendelsohn

The upper school water polo season has ended for both the varsity and JV squads. The varsity squad finished the season first in their league with a league record of 3-1 and an overall record of 25-3. The JV squad finished their season 2-0 in league and 11-4 overall. The varsity squad made it far into the playoffs, but their run was stopped by Huntington Beach in the semifinal of the Division One CIFSS Playoff on Wednesday November 16, with a final score was 7-6.
The varsity squad is made up of freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors . The team also finished first in their league and although they lost in the semifinals, they had the best record since the 2014 season. They also finished first in one of the most competitive Water Polo leagues in all of California.
The JV team is made up of freshmen and serves as a program that develops and prepares players for the high level of play that the varsity squad faces. Members of the JV team were able to bond and learn together through their successes and failures.
“I think that the JV season went really well, I was able to bond with everybody on my unit. Even though we took some losses we were able to learn from those losses and become a stronger squad together and beat some of the team later in the season,” attacker Christian Pang ‘20 said
The JV squad ended its season first in league. The unit is able to learn from the
varsity squad because the entire program practices together, so the JV squad can develop the skills that members of the varsity team already have and also get a look at the intensity and level of play at the varsity level.
“I think the JV and varsity team practicing together really brings the programs together because we get to spend so much time as one unit while other squads practice separately. It also helps the JV squad learn because we get to see the best team play and it really helps you develop as a player,” attacker Chris Kim ‘20 said.