By: Astor Wu ’20 and Sarah Reiff ’20
Thanksgiving is fast approaching, and Cooking Column is bringing you two Thanksgiving themed recipes, each with their own twist on classic flavors. These hand pie recipes are the perfect serving size and taste amazing without a difficult cooking process.
Savory Hand Pie
The first hand pie is a savory one that includes all your favorite classic Thanksgiving foods. Feel free to make this recipe using your Thanksgiving leftovers.
What You’ll Need For Our Savory Hand Pies:
1 Cup finely chopped roasted turkey
¾ Cups mashed potatoes
4 ounces. Packaged cream cheese
1 finely chopped carrot
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper
1 ½ (14.1 oz) packages of refrigerated pie crust
1 large egg, beaten
Poppy Seeds (If desired)
- Stir together your turkey, mashed potatoes, cream cheese, chopped carrot, parsley and preferred amount of salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Unroll each piecrust. Lightly roll each into 12-inch circles. Cut each pie crust into six 4-inch circles. Place about 3 tablespoons turkey mixture just below the center of each dough circle. Fold dough over filling, pressing and folding edges to seal.
- Arrange the pies on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush the pies with the beaten egg, and if desired, sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with gravy and enjoy!
Sweet Hand Pie
Our second recipe is a sweet apple hand pie, perfect for a Thanksgiving dessert. We suggest pairing the pie with ice cream to add additional flavors and sweetness.
What You’ll Need For Our Sweet Hand Pies:
¼ Cup packed brown sugar
2 Teaspoons cinnamon
2 Teaspoons nutmeg
3 tablespoons of butter, melted
⅓ cup chopped pecans
1 apple sliced into 8 ½ inch slices
1 (8 ounce) can pre made crescent rolls dough
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking pan with parchment paper
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set this aside.
- Melt butter and toss the sliced apples in the melted butter in a separate bowl from the second step. Set this aside.
- Arrange your crescent rolls on the parchment paper. Evenly distribute your mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg throughout the rolls.
- Sprinkle each triangle with an even amount of chopped pecans.
- Place a slice of apple on the wide end of each roll. Wrap the crescent roll dough around each apple.
- Brush each of the rolls with the remaining butter and feel free to add any additional spices.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Eat and enjoy!