Girl’s tennis incorporates new players

By Samantha Morris 21′
    Left: Kimberly Tan ’22 gets ready to hit a ball. Credit: Samantha Morris ’21/Spectrum 
    Right: Players give high-fives after a point is scored. Credit: Samantha Morris ’21/Spectrum

Wolverine girls’ tennis teams are off to a promising start this fall. Heading into their second year with program head Kristie Reynolds-Gipe, the varsity squad played their first competition on Aug. 30, defeating Valencia 12 matches to 6. The team also performed well at the Golden State Classic Tournament on Sep. 9 and 10, coming in fifth place.
    In the next few months, the team will compete against nine different schools, with Peninsula HS predicted to be their most challenging opponent. As of press time, the girls have a 4-0 league record, having defeated Marlborough for their fourth win on Monday.
    The varsity team has welcomed three ninth graders, Erica Ekstrand ‘20, Sophia Ekstrand ‘20 and Madeline Dupee ’20, this year. With the help of new players, the girls hope to earn their way back into the CIF Championships, this time to emerge as champions. As for team chemistry, it appears that the players are forming strong bonds and friendships.
    “All the members [of my team] are fun to be around, very kind, and great tennis players,” singles player Erica Ekstrand said.
    For the JV team, success also seems probable. The JV squad competed against Valencia High School on Aug. 30, pulling off a 16-2 victory. They currently have a league record of 3-0, and are scheduled to play against Campbell Hall HS on Thursday.
    When speaking about her experience on the team so far, Katherine Konvitz ‘20 complimented the attentiveness and dedication of her coaches and remarked on her strong relationships with her teammates.
    “I love how involved the coaches are with our lives. Even if we accomplish something unrelated to tennis, they are always there to support us…I am glad to say, that after only a few weeks, I have made friendships with freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors, and I will cherish them for life,” Konvitz said in an email.
    Seventh and eighth grade girls have also been forming teams. These middle-school athletes competed in their first game on Sept. 20, losing a competitive 3-3 match to Brentwood, that had to be determined based on individual games won. As of press time, they have a league record of 2-3. The players have been practicing hard, and many have also set goals for this fall.
    “I hope to improve greatly in my serving and my hits throughout the season. As for the team, I hope we grow, and learn to work together, especially since we are playing doubles,” Charlotte Massey ’22 said.