Upper School Field Hockey

By Eugean Choi ‘21

SAMSUNG CSC

The middle school field hockey team practices after school. Credit: Eugean Choi ’21

The upper school field hockey program, made up of freshmen, JV, and varsity squads, has begun the year with a strong start. Program head and English teacher Erin Creznic said that these teams have hit the ground running.
“I think we will have a fantastic year. … A lot of my players are the same from last year, and they are a great group. We already had a strong start. Next year is [also] going to be amazing because there are only five seniors this year,” Creznic said.
The varsity squad currently has a record of 12-1-3. Their most recent victory was on Oct. 7, with a score of 1-0. There are 16 players on the varsity team, and they practice every day during the week. Even though five players will be leaving at the end of the year, the friendship between the teammates will continue.
“Everyone on the team is so close. We spent a lot of time together before school started, so we went into school with strong relationships with each other. We had a lot of bonding time in Florida and during preseason. Our team is like a family,” varsity sweeper Erin Lee ’18 said.
The JV team has a record of 6-1-4. Their recent tie was at Glendora High School with a score of 0-0. Their last league game of the season will be on Homecoming against Bonita High School.
“In terms of the future of this season, it is almost over, but I know for the JV team, a lot of us hope to win the rest of the league games and to hopefully win the league championship,” JV center forward Sam Yeh ’20 said.
The freshmen team has an overall record of 3-0-4. Their last league game was on Oct. 6 against Bonita High School, with a score of 0-0. However, even with the burden of trying to win the league championship, the players on the freshmen team still balance homework with their schedule. Many have learned how to manage time more efficiently, given the lack of time with a sport in addition to school, though this has been hard for the many new ninth graders that have shown interest in field hockey this year.
“It was definitely one of my best decisions to join field hockey this year. Everyone is super welcoming, and while it takes up a lot of time, it’s easy to balance it [with] homework as long as you manage your time efficiently… it works,” midfield freshmen Katie Mumford ’20 said.
The team also has a new coach, Dezirae Hall, who currently works as a personal trainer and has been helping the players improve on speed and strength, as well as on specific field hockey techniques.
“I was excited to find Dezirae … I hope she will help us get us more fit and improve as an overall team,” Creznic said.
The teams all hope to make it to playoffs during this year. Students hope to win league games and the league championships. Especially this year, the students on the freshmen, JV, and varsity teams feel that the bond between is strong.
“Though they don’t see each other much, all the teams cheer each other on, and the older kids help the lower teams. I’m really glad that this is happening; the varsity players are really helpful to the younger teams,” Creznic said.