Acting class performs Scene Night

by Alexandra So ’19
    Actors in Jim Doughan’s fall semester acting class performed in their Scene Night on Tuesday evening at 7 p.m. in the Katzenberg Black Box Theatre. Students performed scenes from various plays. They had been preparing for several weeks to ready themselves for the show, which was meant to showcase each student’s specific talents on stage.
    The students also each performed original monologues.  According to Doughan, the students all wrote on a piece of paper a descriptive sentence as the start of their stories. They then put the piece of paper in a hat, and then drew papers out. They next added a sentence involving a common cliché as the ending. These papers again went back into the hat. Lastly, Doughan assigned props that the students had to include in the story at some point. All of the monologues showed mature themes, such as loss, love, drinking and even physical violence.
    Performers also read scenes from various plays both classic and contemporary. The first scene performed was a scene from the final act in “A Doll’s House,” which ninth graders read in English classes in November, with Nora being portrayed by Carissa Edwards-Mendez ’19 and with Torvald being portrayed by Tosh Le ’19.  Performances also included a scene revolving around nuns and priests performed by Becca Frishling ’19 and Daniel Arriaza ‘19. Lastly, they performed an adolescent story with high emotion that explored the romantic feelings between the valedictorian portrayed by Chloe Carter-Beardmore ‘19 and a careless student with casual drinking habits played by Thijmen Oerlemans ‘19.
    “I’m a bit nervous, but I’m excited. It’s been a fun experience working with other actors.” Beardmore said before the show.