Winter Orchestra takes place

by Alison Oh’19
    220 student musicians participated in this year’s winter instrumental concert, “The Music Within,” at 7 p.m. on Dec. 4. Students from Beginning Band, Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Beginning Strings, Concert Strings and the Middle School Symphony were featured during the performance. Instrumental music teachers Starr Wayne and Emily Reola conducted the ensembles.
    Before the concert began, the Classical Music Club performed holiday music in the lobby of the Bing Auditorium in order to welcome audience members. In addition, a slideshow of photos with the various instrumental groups was displayed during a five-minute intermission.
    Highlights of the concert included the combined performances by Beginning and Concert Band and Beginning and Concert Springs, as well as the performance of a medley of Pixar themes songs by Concert Strings.
    The Middle School Symphony performed a special rendition of “Sleigh Ride” to conclude the concert. Artificial snow fell from the rafters, and several of the performers wore festive hats.
    “I had a lot of fun, and we did that surprise ending with the snow where we started playing Sleigh Ride. People started reacting in the audience when they saw the snow, and that was exciting,” Reola said.
    Students have been working on music to perform for the winter concert since the beginning of the school year.
    “We’ve been practicing since day one, and I feel that the orchestra did improve a lot under the great leadership of our section leaders. It was really an amazing experience,” Middle School Symphony member Clara Ross ‘19 said.
    Audience members said that they enjoyed the concert and agree that all of the musicians’ hard work was demonstrated through their performances.
    “You could really tell that the performers were enjoying what they were doing. All their hard work really came through in the show,” audience member Caroline Cook ’19 said.