Club delivers sandwiches to homless

by Kaitlin Musante ’19
    Students gathered in SE102 on Dec. 11 to make sandwiches to deliver to the homeless for the first weekly club meeting of the Youth Ending Hunger club. Founded by Brooke Stanford ‘21 and Juliette O’Brien ‘21, the club is the middle school section of the school chapter of the organization, and is open to all willing to help.
    Each week, the club meets on Fridays at break to make various types of sandwiches that are then delivered to the Ocean Park Community Center (OPCC). Typically, turkey and bread are brought in and, in an assembly line, students put together the sandwiches. Then, they are placed into bags and sent off to OPCC.
    “We wanted to start a club that would benefit our community, and thought feeding the homeless would be a perfect way to do this. My favorite part is delivering the sandwiches to the homeless and seeing the smiles on their faces,” Stanford said.
    About 40 people attended the Youth Ending Hunger club in their most recent meeting.  While there, the students worked to make as many sandwiches as they could until the supplies ran out.  The goal of the club, according to Stanford, is to provide food for those less fortunate, so club sessions are devoted entirely to assembling as many meals as possible.
    Students are also able to receive 30 minutes of community service credit through the club each time they visit, which provides an incentive for students to come and help. Students who attend have said that they love the charitable aspect of the club.
    “My favorite part of attending the club was knowing that the sandwiches you make go to a good cause and that even though at Harvard-Westlake we have such a busy schedule, we can fit in time to help our community.” Emma Limor ‘21 said.