7th Grade Senators Elected

By Saba Nia ’19
    Chelsea Cho ’21, Austin Lee ’21, Brooke Stanford ’21, and Jacky Zhang ’21 were elected as seventh grade representatives on Nov. 12. The four students were chosen out of 29 candidates, which is the largest number of candidates in recent history, according to seventh grade dean Jonathan Carroll.
    Immediately following speeches during a seventh grade class meeting on Nov. 10, elections took place via an online, anonymous survey that, according to Carroll, most if not all of the grade participated in. The new senators were sworn in during assembly on Monday.  In an email, the four elected senators gave enthusiastic comments about their new roles and are looking forward to making changes on campus.
    Chelsea Cho:
    I feel really excited and lucky to be elected into the Student Council since I love Harvard-Westlake and I wanted to be able to help out the school and give back…I hope to make it so that everyone in the seventh grade has a say and are open to telling the Student Council any worries or about things that are and aren’t fair in their lives at school. I ran for Student Council since I wanted to give back to the students and community that I’ll be with for the next few years of my life, and I wanted to become more involved in the school.
    Austin Lee:
    I ran [for Student Council] because I wanted to bring a working, dedicated member to Student Council who makes everyone around campus happy, and that is what I hope to do.
    Brooke Stanford:
    I hope to bring a new perspective to student council because as a seventh grader, I know how hard transitioning from elementary school to middle school is, and I hope to make everyone feel extremely comfortable in this new environment. I ran [for Student Council] because I’ve always been interested in student government, and to feel like I have an important role at Harvard-Westlake really means a lot to me.
    Jacky Zhang:
    I hope I can bring some interesting ideas to Student Council, and I will do my best to handle our budget to make Student Council-sponsored events better. A lot of people are so stressed about their grades, and I hope I can change that by making some activities to let everyone get away from academic classes for a few hours and just have fun…I want to bring my ideas to Student Council and make our school a better place than it already is.