Changes Occur in Library

By Sophie Haber ’19
    Silent Study has been reopened in the library and a Group Study room has been established. When the renovations took place last year, the loss of Reynolds Hall rooms resulted in other spaces being used for classes.  In the Munger Library, the room previously used for  Silent Study was converted to classroom space, and there was no designated quiet place for students to get work done.  Now that Wang Hall is fully functioning, Silent Study has returned along with the new Group Study room.
    The Group Study room was designed as a way to accommodate larger groups of students collaborating on their assignments.  It gives them a space to work together without disturbing the students who need a quiet environment to focus and work in the library.
    “I think it’s a really good change, because now instead of just telling students [they’re only allowed] four to a table otherwise they have to wgo out, it’s much nicer to be able to say they can study with five or more people in the Group Study,” librarian Christina McClendon said.
    According to McClendon, not having Silent Study last year was a challenge, as there was no space for students who do need a silent environment in order to complete their assignments.  Its return has been helpful to those students who thrive in a quiet study space.
    “I really like to use Silent Study because it’s a distraction-free zone where I can go and know I will be productive,” Rebecca Sugerman ’19 said.